About Me

My photo
I am 7th Generation in the Australian Cattle Industry. I grew up on a cattle station in North Queensland. My husband and I run a Livestock Agency (hence the reference to mobile phones)as well as a small hobby farm with our two young children.

Blog Archive

Thursday 24 November 2011

Special Visitors

Yesterday afternoon I was chatting away to my sister on the phone (as we do) when all of a sudden I gasped and said "Just wait, just wait, I have to go and get the camera, you should see what's on my lawn!"  She of course thought I had a snake as that's what she usually gets on her lawn although she doesn't run for the camera to deal with that!  But it wasn't  a snake, it was these:

These are double-barred finches, native to Northern Australia. You can read about them here.  We do have lots of them around, but they are usually very shy and we never see them this close to the house.  They love to hide in the long grass, which we have lots of at the moment because of the good wet seasons we've had these last few years.  They like to eat grass seeds which the lawn has plenty of because it really needs a mow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers